Friday, March 16, 2007

The land of the 'Pretty-People'


Week four -



A lot has changed since the last time I entered a gym. For example, the people have changed. Not too long ago, a gym was a place to go to work out and get sweaty. It was a place to writhe in pain and be miserable. Now, it’s more like a fashion show or a dinner party with weights. You are basically required to have matching tops and bottoms, perfect hair, the most expensive iPod you can get your hands on, and strapped to your oversized bicep for all to see and admire, and a brand new pair of shoes. And most important . . . ABSOULTLY NO SWEATING ALLOWED. That would ruin everything, right?



This brings me to my wardrobe . . . a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, regular old Target socks (no, not the kind to my knees with colored rings — what kind of idiot do you think I am?), and a pair of no-name tennis shoes. Oh, and I strapped my old AM transistor radio to my arm so that I will fit in . . . but, I had to move it to my ankle because the antenna kept poking me in the eye.


I thought that I would be a lot more uncomfortable going to the gym, but the fact of the matter is . . . I’m just a fat geek doing my thing in front of the pretty people. Oddly enough, I enjoy disrupting the balance in the pretty-people world.


Hooray for me…. I think.



~ ~ ~ Started 01-01-07 ~ ~ ~

13 comments:

wahwee said...

You are such a lemming! Not the noun definition: "Any of various short-tailed, furry-footed rodents of circumpolar distribution" - but the verb definition: "The act of following the crowd into an investment that will inevitably head for disaster".

It is 6:43 p.m. on Sunday and I am just reading this post. I had no prior discussion or knowledge of its existence until now. Point is, didn't you and I go shopping last night with the express intention of getting you a pair of shorts to match your shirts and a new pair of shoes? The shorts & shirts thing didn't work out, but I believe we did buy you a new pair of tenny shoes . . .

N I K E !

Who's the name-brand struttin' pretty person now? I hope I don't embarrass you in my $27.99 Costco Avia walking shoes.

sugarbritches said...

You better get matched up with brand name stuff. I will NOT be shamed by you and have my good name ruined by my bro in law who isn't dressed to not sweat. I'm just glad you don't go to the Tree House -because that IS a dinner party in expensive workout wear. And as we all know, to quote Tom, "Nothing good happens at the Tree House".

Loud Boy said...

I think that I would rather be the noun-lemming, I like the circumpolar distribution part(minus the short tail).

holly fay said...

Mike I just read up on your last few posts. They are really funny! Way to be on going to the gym - that really takes dedication and hard work! I went to they gym at BYU once but I didn't know how to work any of the machines and felt like a complete idiot around all of the exercising savvy BYU students so I never went back again. Good luck!

The Hyatt's said...

I think that 24 hour fitness has implemented a rule that if you don't have an iPod, you can't get in. I feel like when I'm in the gym people walk by staring at my arm and thinking, "he doesn't have an iPod. How did he get in here, poor white trash." I seriously feel like the iPod of today is like the slap-bracelet's of the 80's. If you didn't have a slap bracelet, you were sooo lame.
-Chronicles of a lonely jr. high student

mandi said...

I haven't felt that kind of pressure at the Gold's here in Orem. Probably because it's full of poor college students. Or maybe because us Oremites are incredibly humble. That must be it.

I really appreciate the fat/poorly dressed people (that are even worse than me), like the enormous girl in the horrible green skin-tight sweats that are giving her cellulite-ridden butt an extreme wedgie. Because then I think, "Hey, life's good! I'm not her!"

heidi said...

Mandi, it's going to be hard to get those green tight legs out of my head.

Nice new header Mike! And good job on the gym thing. That's impressive.

mandi said...

Oh yeah. I forgot to say awesome header.

sugarbritches said...

Ok I must be tard. How do you guys do these new headers? I can't see any of those options in the format section. How do you do it?

Loud Boy said...

Yes, Lisa you are a 'tard'. (but so am/was I). I worked on making a new header for months and then Heidi posted hers. I called her up and ask for help. She (Heidi) is sooooo smart!

Mooryan said...

ah. i guess i haven't commented. funny stuff fer sure mikey. how goes it now? holly: i have never heard that story, that is hilarious! heehee. not me. im mr. buff man. i am more comfortable in a gym than in my mothers womb...hmmm.

Mooryan said...

weird. i really don't remember leaving that comment. c'mon mike, the only thing updating on your blog is your clock and countdown, lets see some action!

sugarbritches said...

Hey Dinkus! about time to update!! I dont want to pull the plug and put you on the life support list.