I will not be Bullied!
I refuse to give in to the pressures of Christmas!
Christmas is always saying “look at me! I’m better than Halloween!” And “shop for stuff” and “time for presents!” Meanwhile Halloween is quietly whispering “candy, I got candy. Psst, hey kid, want some candy?” It’s no wonder people choose happy-go-lucky December 25th over creepy October 31st.
Just like the jackass who still turns his Christmas lights on in the middle of May, I am forcing my neighborhood to extend Halloween by lighting my jack-o-lanterns. The difference is I’m not crazy. I’m angry. Angry that Christmas bullies my poor Halloween around. Well, I’m not going to take it any more. That’s right; I’m going down kicking and screaming.
I’m going to light my rotting, collapsing, mold-covered jack-o-lantern every weekend until Thanksgiving. I’ll show Christmas. So, when does Halloween end? October 31st? That’s All Hallows Eve! Technically it should end November 1st, on All Hallows Day, or All Saints Day. But that day is reserved for the eating of candy, instead of the observance of Saints.
If we were to personify these two ‘holidays’, Christmas would always be the big fat bully, with Santy Claus portraying the role quite appropriately. He’s so manipulative, convincing everyone that he’s great, but when all of backs are turned, he’s quietly beating up little nerd-boy, Halloween.
Just like the jackass who still turns his Christmas lights on in the middle of May, I am forcing my neighborhood to extend Halloween by lighting my jack-o-lanterns. The difference is I’m not crazy. I’m angry. Angry that Christmas bullies my poor Halloween around. Well, I’m not going to take it any more. That’s right; I’m going down kicking and screaming.
I’m going to light my rotting, collapsing, mold-covered jack-o-lantern every weekend until Thanksgiving. I’ll show Christmas. So, when does Halloween end? October 31st? That’s All Hallows Eve! Technically it should end November 1st, on All Hallows Day, or All Saints Day. But that day is reserved for the eating of candy, instead of the observance of Saints.
If we were to personify these two ‘holidays’, Christmas would always be the big fat bully, with Santy Claus portraying the role quite appropriately. He’s so manipulative, convincing everyone that he’s great, but when all of backs are turned, he’s quietly beating up little nerd-boy, Halloween.
Don’t worry Halloween, I’ve got your back, I’m here to defend you! At least until my rotting jack-o-lanterns collapse into piles of drippy mush.
7 comments:
I agree. Halloween's awesome.
i thought we were suppose to leave our christmas lights up year round....what's this about only having them up until may?!?!
...but i can never turn down candy...
Ok, let's foof this page up! You're right, it IS plain. We got our wallpaper from "thecutestblogontheblock.com but most of that stuff is girly and scrapbooky. There are some Halloween ones though that you might like. You can also enlarge of your own photos to be the wallpaper but Dwayne will have to show you how to do that. he's the guru. Anywho, he's working on your recording so don't think he's forgotten you!
Now THAT is cool!
I't not what I wanted but it was available in the free section. I want to redo my blog sometime after Halloween.
Yeah take that christmas!! Halloween is the best. I think I'll blog about it since I'm getting crap about my posts that last for years at a time.
How are those jack o lanterns holding up?
Post a Comment