Friday, February 03, 2006

Re-finishing stuff



The wardrobe in my mothers basement. I wish that I had a before photos of these. This one was white-ish when we got it, the insides were falling out and the back was missing about 50%. I took a Saturday and re-built the interior, added a new beadboard back, painted it black (duh) and antiqued it. Now the kids have a new game cabinet.


Another cabinet from my mothers basement. This hutch (top only) was tucked away in the old coal shute bay in my mom basement. It had more than 10 coats (I got bored counting) of very old lead based paint. The original glass was broken and the molding were missing as was the base. The base shown was our old kitchen table. It took me more than two weeks to remove all of the paint and rebuild this hutch, ironically it was green when we got it and it's green again.



This is my Great grandfathers tool box. This tool box was buried in a corner of my grandparents garage/shed for the past 40 years. My grandparents gave this to me for repairing their sprinkler system. I add the base legs made from misc. lumber and the tops of Newel post that I had in my garage.

Another one of my Great grandfathers things. This secretary desk I'm told was given to him when he was made Bishop. I basically stole this piece from my grandparents in 1981 while they and the rest of my family were at the funeral of my Great grandmother. (no I'm not going to burn in hell, I confessed to my grandparents). (long story, short, I found a similar looking piece at a garage sale, bought it, and swapped them out during the funeral). I stripped this one in 1981 and then put it in my parents attic, when we built our home in 1994 I dug it out and stored it in our basement until I finally finished it in 2004. I left the drawer and the cubby in the same condition that I received it in. And refinished the rest to look hopefully like it did when it was new. I added antiqued glass, the original glass was coated with paint along with the rest of it.
The table is finally finished! Remember it was that "golden oak" color, you know the color that everyone on the planet has, or has had on their kitchen cabinets. Although I had a small chemical reaction between the paint and the laquer, the end result was an interesting crackel finish that I had to recoat to fill the cracks. We purchased the new chairs and put the rug in the basement. The black table looks great against the new floor color.
The little girls night table. We found this at the D.I. for $10.00. It was white with gold trim (pretty).

We just didn't seem to have enough bead-board in the house. I had some left overs so, I added a frame with a mirrior. Not very oringinal but it covers the nail in the wall.


No comments: