Thursday, July 26, 2007

This is why I don't do my home teaching




Home Teacher Beaten With Revolver



A Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints home teacher is supposed to provide guidance to local families, not serve as a whipping boy after an argument. But police in Spanish Fork say a man called his two home teachers, saying he needed them to come over. When they came, police say 73-year-old Carl Chandler argued with one of the home teachers, then pulled out a gun and hit the man with it.
The LDS Church says home teachers are supposed to visit families every month and be there if they are called upon in times of need. Police have not said what made Chandler call his home teachers that day, nor what the argument was about.
Chandler was arrested on aggravated assault charges. He is scheduled for an initial court appearance Friday morning.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Web site, "as part of their responsibility to watch over the members of the church, home teachers visit their assigned families at least once each month to teach and strengthen them. Home teachers establish a relationship of trust with these families so that the families can call upon them in times of need."
Utah County Sheriff's Office Lt. Darren Gilbert said the incident is still under investigation.

12 comments:

Mooryan said...

wow. i just got back from home teaching (notice the date...sigh.) hmm. good thing it didn't end like that. thats sad but hilarious.

sugarbritches said...

Holy crap I don't do my visiting teaching like I should, now I'm never doing it! Just kidding, but holy cow a 73 year old man wacking a home teacher on the head, it's so bizarre! He must be psycho and strong!

sugarbritches said...

off the subject, time to move wahwee to the dead blogs list. hear that wahwee? get with the program!!

wahwee said...

UP YOURS!

biscuit said...

thats crazy. and please stop with the up yours. it almost as bad as my mom trying to make up new words

dishes and laundry said...

I wonder if they'll go back next month. Or if the Relief Society will bring him meals when he gets out of the pokey. Too funny!

sugarbritches said...

up yours butter bean!

yo mama said...

Not sure I should get in this one but . . . that is bizarre. At least he didn't shoot him. Kind of reiterates the fact that there are some "wacko" home teachers out there. I've never really had a crazy home teacher, just one that would stay for so long you would want to die by the time he left. We used to try and think up ways to "help him on his way" earlier.

wahwee said...

Yo Mama, you silly, it was the member that called the home teachers that was the crazy pistol whippin one, not the home teacher.

But I must agree that we have all at one time had a home teacher we wish that we could pistol whip for staying too long, boring us all the while and not even bringing a treat to make it forgivable.

Dave & Elyse Hyatt said...

wow, count me out for home teaching too!!!

yo mama said...

Woops, I've got to read more carefully. It was funny the other way too though. . .

sugarbritches said...

loud boy if you don't start commenting on my blog I'll stop commenting on yours. Now get with it!!!